Digital Nomad Visas

Spain Digital Nomad Visa

New Spain remote work visa allows non-EU/EEA remote workers and freelancers to live and work in Spain for up to 12 months in the first instance, renewable for up to five years.

Applicants must prove that they have a minimum income of €2,160 per month to apply, with higher income brackets if you will be accompanied by a partner or children.

Remote workers must also show that they have a stable contract, that they have permission from their company to work in Spain, and that their company has been in business for at least one year. Unlike many other Digital Nomad Visas, up to 20% of a freelancer’s income can come from Spanish clients.

Successful applicants will also be eligible to apply for a Spanish residency permit, which will enable them to travel around the European Union. Most visa holders will become tax residents and are eligible to pay a special reduced tax rate of 24% on income up to €600,000 per year. Spain has double taxation agreements with 90 other countries.

 Portugal Digital Nomad Visas

  • The Temporary-Stay Visa is best for digital nomads looking to work remotely from Portugal.
  • The D7 Passive Income Visa is best for those wishing to stay up to two years.
  • The D2 Entrepreneur Visa and the Portugal Golden Visa are for those wishing to invest in the Portuguese economy and pursue a path to permanent residence.

Temporary-Stay Visa

This visa is targeted at digital nomads specifically. The visa offers those with proof of a remote job the opportunity to live in Portugal while maintaining their remote work that generates at least €2,800 a month. The visa lasts one year and can be extended up to four times for a maximum of five years. Additionally, you will only be charged a 15% tax rate as opposed to the standard Portuguese 25% for the first four years of your stay. Aside from these requirements and incentives, the visa has an identical process to the D7 Visa.

D7 Passive Income Visa

This visa was initially targeted at retirees with their own passive incomes but is also the ideal visa for digital nomads and other remote workers. The initial visa is granted for 120 days, before which time you must present at the SEF (Servico de Estangeiros e Fronteiras) to receive a residence permit valid for two years.

The visa and the residency permit also grant you full access to the Schengen area as though you were an EU citizen. You can bring your spouse and dependent children with you as an extension of the visa.

You must demonstrate that you have sufficient income from outside the country to sustain yourself and any family members. This is the equivalent of a minimum salary, which is €8,460 per year. If you are bringing a spouse, you must show another 50% on top of that (€4,230 per year) and another 30% on top of that for a dependent child (€2,538 per year).

D2 Entrepreneur Visa

The D2 visa is principally targeted at entrepreneurs from outside the European Union and exists to encourage local investment. As such, you must show that you either have a company operating in Portugal (you can invest in an existing company) or that you have the resources to set up such a company.

You can provide evidence of your own existing resources or proof of a bank loan from a Portuguese bank. It is recommended to have proof of at least €5,000, but there is no minimum requirement. This must be accompanied by a solid business plan that shows the impact your investment will have on the local community and economy and why you have chosen Portugal as your business location.

You must also show that you have enough money to sustain yourself and any dependents during your time in the country, which must be the equivalent of the minimum salary in Portugal (€8,460 per year).

As well as being able to bring your family with you, this visa gives you access to the Schengen area as if you were an EU citizen. You can also open a bank account and transfer your tax residency to Portugal.


With their digital nomad visa, you can live and work remotely in Greece for a whole year, with the possibility of extending for up to two years.

If you satisfy income requirement of $3,690 per month gives you permission to live and work from Greece, and you can also travel freely in the Schengen area. You may also be eligible for a 50% tax reduction.


You can apply for a Nomad visa if you fulfill the following requirements:

  • You are a citizen of a third country.
  • You have a monthly income of at least €2,700.
  • You are a partner of a company registered outside Malta; or
  • You are an employee for a company outside of Malta and have a contract with that company; or
  • You are a consultant and offer freelance or consulting any different services for citizens outside of Malta with whom you have a contract.

When applying for a Maltese digital nomad visa, you can bring the following family members with you:

  • Your spouse (husband or wife).
  • Your minor child.
  • A child who is dependent on you due to an illness or disability.
  • A child that is financially dependent on you.

With a digital nomad visa, you do not need to pay taxes in Malta if you don’t have any income obtained from Malta. Additionally, if you have tax residency in your home country, you do not need to pay tax in Malta even if you live there for longer than 183 days per year.